custom_firmware example fails with 'Unexpected error: UNKNOWN' and no access to Wifi

• Sat 2021.04.17

Running as Admin when issuing commands.

UnexpErr20210417.jpg

Heeding the advice 'as written in the Makefile (there are not to many commands which the Makefile calls)'

I block copied the 'dist' folder into the 'file_system' folder destination, and then manually issued each MAKE command sequentially. This, then did build the output file 'firmware.dat'

However, when attempting to flash using lowsync, there isn't a listing for the ESP32 device in the list of available Wifi connection points.

ref: - Connect to the Wifi "Custom Firmware Example" with the password "customfirmware"

So, I went back to what does work: lowsync flash --port=com4 --init
    and the following SSID and p/w are restored and I can now connect to the device.

Wrote 2943436 bytes (1861538 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 165.1 seconds (effective 142.6 kbit/s)...
    Hash of data verified.
    Leaving...
    Hard resetting via RTS pin...
    *** Done, low.js flashed. Please give your device a few seconds to reset to factory state
    To communicate with your microcontroller, connect to the Wifi:
    SSID:       low.js@ESP32 xx9EBDE12750
    Password:   xxU1308bFSTr
    In this Wifi, the microcontroller has the IP 192.168.0.1

Went back to the 'Custom Firmware Example' however the reflashed device now does not appear. As can be seen from the attached image, the files are built on the server, they never get deployed to the 'file_system' folder.

Problem 1: The expected folder appears as a file within the 'file_system' folder and likely is the reason the files can not be downloaded to that destination as it is orignially tagged as a file first.

Problem 2: The Wifi content doesn't appear to be in the files that are expected to be written from the server side.

lowsync flash --init --firmware-file=firmware.dat --pro-key=... --port=Com4
    *** Step 1/3: Probing ESP32 microcontroller
        now checking if it is an ESP32-WROVER... (takes a while)
    *** Step 2/3: Erasing flash and signing image in parallel
    esptool.py v2.6-beta1
    Serial port Com4
    Connecting.....
    Detecting chip type... ESP32
    Chip is ESP32D0WDQ5 (revision 1)
    Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
    MAC: xx:9e:bd:e1:27:50
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    Erasing flash (this may take a while)...
    Chip erase completed successfully in 3.7s
    *** Step 3/3: Flashing firmware
    esptool.py v2.6-beta1
    Serial port Com4
    Connecting....
    Detecting chip type... ESP32
    Chip is ESP32D0WDQ5 (revision 1)
    Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
    MAC: xx:9e:bd:e1:27:50
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    Configuring flash size...
    Auto-detected Flash size: 16MB
    Flash params set to 0x024f
    Compressed 3919024 bytes to 1986600...
    Wrote 3919024 bytes (1986600 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 176.2 seconds (effective 177.9 kbit/s)...
    Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
    *** Done, low.js flashed. Please give your device a few seconds to reset to factory state

I also played with lowbuild.json.config setting "http_enabled": true, "https_enabled": true

So, if 'dist' should be a folder rather than a file as is created, then I can live with that for now. Just an extra step, but Wifi is still not pressent after final flash step.

• Sun 2021.05.02

Well two weeks have elapsed and I wanted to make sure it was understood that this is the Neonious example verbatim from GitHub that fails at step six, not anything I created.

This sample does not execute on a Windows10 platform as outlined.

Neonious custom_firmware example fails to build with 'Unexpected error: UNKNOWN' and no access to Wifi

https://github.com/neonious/lowjs_esp32_examples/tree/master/custom_firmware

Beneath heading

***** HOW TO COMPILE AND RUN *****

Fails at step 6 'Connect to the Wifi "Custom Firmware Example" with the password "customfirmware"'

• Hello Robin,

I am sorry, right now I have no time to take a look at your issue.

This might change at some point, but May is full with important, paid projects 😕

Regards,

Thomas